Motor Work Completed!

Please follow and like us:
The parts removed: Alternator, Starter, Transmission
Heat Exchanger, Mixing Elbow and more….

IT STARTED….IT RUNS….IT HAS NO FUEL LEAKS….and we are very happy to report our motor work is completed after two weeks of work! This all started because we decided to replace the transmission due to a very small (one drip) oil leak that had been caused by our output coupler coming apart 2 years ago in Maine. Since then, we have been dealing with this temporary self repair. The Yanmar recommended repair of our KBW10 transmission was to pull it and send it in for a new $2.00 oil seal and re-torquing. I said NO, and so I have been dealing with this small leak. Then a year ago, another IP owner had an engine failure and needed to replace his engine, thus an opportunity to buy a lightly used KBW10 transmission from his mechanic. After our run home from Maine this summer, we decided it was time to pull the transmission and replace it. This lead to tearing down the entire motor and going after anything else that could be serviced.

Here is a list of the motor work accomplished …

  1. Remove and install a new KBW10 transmission
  2. Remove fuel injectors, install new injectors and return lines
  3. Replace all fuel lines from the tank to the pumps to the engine and returns to tank
  4. Install new motor mounts, 100 lbs starboard and 150 lbs port, align engine to 0.002″
  5. Remove alternator, have serviced with new bearings and brushes
  6. Remove starter, have serviced with new solenoid and all wiring and bearings
  7. Pull and steam clean heat exchanger and exhaust mixing elbow
  8. Replace coolant hoses from engine to water heater and back
  9. Replace wet exhaust hoses to mixing elbow and new vacuum break
  10. Install new temperature probe with new temp gauge at helm

Attending the Mack Boring Diesel Engine class in NJ in March was key to tackling this project. We were  taught in 3 days 8-5 how to tear down our engines and put em back together. It was a great class and it gave me the knowledge and courage to do this to my own engine. Now, with the engine back up and running, it sure feels good to know each and every system as well as I now know them. Hopefully, I will not have to do this again for a long time, and hopefully nothing will break, but if it does, I know know exactly how it is built and how it is taken apart…after all…I assembled this, and IT RUNS!

I also am fortunate to have good friends and mechanic friends that have helped with various tasks and encouraged me along the way. This really helped me as well….Thank you!

Here are some photos of the job.

The fuel injectors and fuel lines

The new KBW10 transmission we bought from a friend….Thank you, Ed!

Lifting the engine with a halyard from the top of the mast.
This allowed us to install new motor mounts. Thank you, Jeff!

New KBW10 Transmission installed and connected to the coupler.

Using chase lines to pull new fuel lines from the tank under the floor to the engine room

My new fuel lines and clean runs. Old system was poorly set up.
Fuel enters the DE-BUG, then RACOR 500, then Electric Pump, then to the Yanmar engine

New fuel lines on the high pressure pump to the secondary fuel filter
New return lines on the injector and to the fuel tank as well.

We used AWAB high quality clamps and these fancy red clamp end caps.

Our magnetic DE-BUG fuel system that breaks down the microbes into smaller
units, allowing these to be burned in the injectors.

New coolant heater hoses run to the stern and into the water heater.
These are 16′ long and needed to be replaced.

New coolant temperature gauge….I know….black would have been better
but that was all I could find in Chestertown, MD.

.
Pasco Electric serviced the starter with a new solenoid and bearings. I did the paint job.

Radeen installed the cleaned up heat exchanger. She was responsible for finding Phil Cecil’s Radiator Shop in Starr, MD.

Heat exchanger O-Rings and the proper orientation for the sea water loop

New temperature probe added to the coolant loop and the new coolant hoses.

New impeller and O-Ring for the sea water coolant pump.

Me holding the starter and the clean exhaust mixing elbow which is freshly coated with high temp paint.
Upon completion, we were treated to this beautiful sunset from our home dock
Next Stop….Annapolis Maryland Boat Show and then SOUTH…
Please follow and like us:

0 Replies to “Motor Work Completed!”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.