After leaving our boat in Puerto Rico, July 2020, we have finally made a trip back to spend a week servicing all her systems and checking in on her storage jack stands and hurricane tie down straps. We hired Ruben of R. S. Marine Services to wash and wax the hull and deck. He has been so helpful in taking care of our boat while we have been at home. So, here is the photo essay with captions showing the process we went thru.
Welcome to San Juan
We traded an RCI Timeshare
Arrival to Island Spirit at Puerto del Ray Marina
Lets Go inside
OK, Job 1, restore the dinghy
The TEAK WHITE CAPRAIL TAPE
Replace Dinghy on Bow
LUNCH TIME with BUDDIES
The Teak Varnish Looks Good
The JACK STANDS need attention
Onto Replacing the Cover
We used T-9 Boeshield Protective Spray
Let’s FLUSH the engine
Let’s Buff and Wax the NEW Force Ten Stove
Look at the WAX JOB on the Hull
The CAPRAIL PROTECTIVE tape
Let’s finish the cover
AnotherTask, Spectra Watermaker Storage
Have we run out of tape yet?
Buddies delivered to SJU Airport
A quick tour of Old San Juan
Final Day at the boat
Wait…tie down that Wind Turbine for hurricanes
Wait….what about the electrical system?
What about the Engine???
So….Let’s call it finished! OMG, another week of work.
OFF TO THE BEACH! Finally
Goodbye Island Spirit….til Nov 🙁
Sure, looking back on last season, when we ran from Grenada lock down and sailed north to St. Thomas and St, Croix and St. John, we should have kept sailing north and returned home to the Chesapeake Bay. BUT….our plan and our goal was to only store the boat July til Nov and then we thought we would be back sailing in a few months, like NOV3!.
Well, that did not happen with the craziness of COVID, with no vaccine, and with CDC saying no travel to Puerto Rico, and MORE….we decided to stay home at our Saltbox13.
Well we stayed home, all of…. Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, April, May and now, we thought we would go and launch May 26th and sail June and some of July on Island Spirit. Well I tried to get our Markel USA yacht insurance extended into July so we could keep sailing but they said no, haul out July 1 or sail north of Florida or south to Grenada. We said no, they said then haul out July 1.
At that point, we decided that it would be insane to launch this boat, set her up with sails and canvas and rigging to only sail a month in the USVI. So we gave up on this dream plan of sailing and cancelled our May 26th launch date. Then we flew down to service the boat because our flights were paid and room was paid, so we did not want to loose that.
Final thought….yes, we could have launched May 26, set her up and prepared for a voyage. We could have and we even talked about these options….
- Sail for Panama 10 days
- Sail for Grenada 2.5 days
- Sail for A B C Islands 3-4 days
- Sail for Florida / USA 7-10 days
- Sail for Chesapeake Bay 10-15 days
None of these sounded good to us because…. ONCE AGAIN….we want to be sailing the Eastern Caribbean Sea one more season, THEN hopefully then we plan to accomplish one of the above.
20/20 hindsight says, should have sailed home….but so it is. We will now wait and we will look forward to Nov sailing once again. Until then, we will take road trips, we will visit friends and family, and we will bum rides on other boats. This is the first time since 1986 we are without a boat to easily sail or play on. 🙁
Thank you for reading and thanks for any and all comments.